Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, June 23, 2014

Dre Does a Maleficent Inspired Makeup Look

This past weekend on Saturday afternoon, I decided to go see Maleficent. I have heard so many amazing things not only about the movie but the makeup too. I was blown away by the movie and every time they showed Maleficent I was analyzing her makeup. The first thing I did when I got home was go straight to my makeup and figure out how I was going to recreate something. Since I was going to a family BBQ that night I knew I was going to do something wearable so it's a bit toned from the movie but I kept the makeup strong in the areas that were emphasized in the movie. In every look she has cool toned eye looks with really smoked out black liner. It's nothing crazy but still brings some drama. So if you'd like to know what I did to achieve the look below keep on reading.

 
(in Natural Lighting)
1. First off as always, I applied my Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer and then used the Maybelline Color Tattoo in Tough as Taupe as a base. It's a nice cool-toned gray-taupe color.
2. Next I applied MAC's Espresso Eyeshadow in the crease with my Sigma E39 brush because it's a nice cool toned brown. I concentrated the color more on the outside of my crease since the eye looks in Maleficent were pretty basic on the lids and more dramatic towards the outer portion of the eye. 
3. Next I used my Real Techniques Base Shadow brush (don't be fooled by the name, I find it works amazing in the outer V because of it's pointed tip) to apply the same espresso color in the outer V of my eyelid. Make sure that with each application of color you are blending the shadows out so there are no harsh lines.
4. Now for the lid. I used MAC's Satin Taupe to apply to the lid very softly. It is a great cool taupe color which is obviously what we were going for. I applied this mostly to the inner 2/3 of my lid and blending it slowly into the darkened outer V area.
5. Next I applied a black gel liner to my eyes. I used Maybelline's Eyestudio Gel Liner in Blackest Black. After I let it dry almost all the way, I used a combination of that same Espresso shade and also Carbon from MAC, which is a matte black, to smoke out the gel liner. I used a pencil brush with a fine tip to do this. 
6. After smoking out the top eyeliner, I went back in with my Real Techniques Base Shadow brush but this time applied carbon in the outer V to blend that smoked out liner nicely into the outer V. 
7. Next I applied a black pencil eyeliner to tight line the upper and lower water lines completely from inner to outer corner because the look is so smoked out and dramatic in the lash lines. I really like the black Water-Resistant Eye Liner from Jane Cosmetics.
8. After this I used the same combo of Espresso and Carbon to smoke out the bottom lash line.
9. Next came two coats of my favorite mascara to give me dramatic but not insane lashes since they weren't the focus of the look. I use tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes! mascara always!
10. Now for the rest of the face I kept things pretty cool toned. I did contour my cheeks but not as intensely as Maleficent because I was wearing this to a family BBQ after! I also used a cool toned natural blush (tarte's Amazonian Clay 12-hour blush in Honored) since her makeup was pretty pale and she never had much of a flush to her cheeks. Lastly, the lips. I was at home visiting so I didn't have my full makeup collection which is why I went with a more blue-toned berry lip. If I had all my products I would have definitely chosen something deeper and more dramatic to go with the look, but you can play up or play down the lips as much as you'd like!

There it is! I hope you enjoyed this makeup look. If you like posts like this where I show you a makeup look and tell you how I do it, please let me know! Also if you have any looks you'd like me to recreate comment below as well. I love doing these types of posts!

Have a beautiful day,

Dre

2 comments:

Dre Does.... © 2011. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO